Move over AZCWR? Civilian Cyber Corps is (almost?) here!

• @josh @Tails Continuing this discussion from previous thread

It appears that New America is very aware of "ranges". There's a separate report advocating for a Cyber Civilian Corp modeled after the Civil Air Patrol created in the days after Pearl Harbor.

"Once there is an authorization [to create the Corps], there must also be an appropriation....as a point of comparison, the Civil Air Patrol received $43 million in federal funding the FY18 budget... our estimate is that a budget outlay of $50 million would provide the basis for creating an organization with roughly 25,000 members spread across all 50 states....the corps could make use of, and help contribute to the ecosystem around, cyber ranges where they exist (a growing number of states have been building/funding them, both as part of university programs and to attract cyber talent).

Another report had this to say about ACTRA and it's esteemed leader. Curiously not one mention of AZCWR made it into the Appendix II...my wife asked me what was so funny when I read it...

"...multiple stakeholders drew attention to the strength of Frankโ€™s leadership and his role in keeping a consistent voice as an advocate for strengthening the ecosystem. The member organizations also trust Frank and the operational systems/processes in place to be their anonymizing proxy, enabling the efficient and effective involvement of the private sector in state and federal cybersecurity initiatives in Arizona.
    However essential Frank has been to ACTRA, the concept has proven to extend beyond Arizona and Frankโ€™s direct involvement. WICTRA, the Wisconsin Cyber Threat Response Alliance, led by Jerry Eastman, is well on its way to demonstrating that localized versions of the ACTRA model are replicable and scalable."

If AZCWR goes back to 2012, the New America report declaring the need for a brand new Civilian Cyber Corp is only 6 years late (unless written prior to the October 2018 update), and the report containing the glowing example of ACTRA was updated as recently as May 2018.

Sounds like an update of the report is way overdue. Not that it matters, but wanna guess which organization would get a cool million bucks in appropriated tax dollars to create an Arizona Civilian Cyber Corp if these reports are considered accurate?

Man this is rich! "And by the way New America, the 'Old' America is just fine as far as I'm concerned - alive and kicking, better than ever! But I appreciate your concern since there's always room for improvement."

• @jdez Nice!! I still stand by previous statement in the previous thread. Just because you throw money at whoever wins this if you don't people who know their shit no amount of money is going to help. If you have idiots running this and teaching it, well the people learning will not be prepared when the shit hits the fan.

I'll probably comment more later after I read the report more in depth. ๐Ÿ™‚

• I missed the original thread on this, but if our only recognition is to be a thorn in their, and Frank's, sides, so be it. When it comes down to it, you see who people come to when they need things done.
    I am reminded of the Animaniacs going to hell and driving Satan crazy. Can see our place in the bureaucracy as much the same role, heh.

• @JMBradley Lol! I love that you referenced the Animaniacs.

• @JMBradley Ditto what Crystal said. Love the comparison.. ๐Ÿ™‚

On a serious note. Is that what the grand scheme of what @blscott and others see AZCWR going? Don't get me wrong I'm all for being a thorn in someone's side when they have no fookin idea what they're doing. But is that enough? Or is this a situation like I have most times with my wife, I pick my battles lol. ๐Ÿ™‚

• @JMBradley Agreed. I don't know much, but at this point, for me it's both a slap in the face to the people who have done a lot of great work and entertaining. I mean, after all these years, the government (and its pretty obvious which side of the "ideological" isle) decides to come down from on high via fancy think tank reports, to pat civilians on the head for all the great work they've done in an attempt to co-opt and insert themselves in the name of inclusiveness and diversity as if they know something.

Entertaining, because the whole process of "appropriation" has become so predictable. And you figure, if they're going to put that much effort into it, they could at least dig a little deeper below the first layer of sources, and find out who's really doing the heavy lifting. I'm really hoping it wasn't intentional, but wouldn't be surprised as so much is based on politics these days.

• On the report @jdez linked above. It all sounds good on paper. I don't get into the politics of things that much because IMHO laws, policies, etc.., tend to get in the way of the real work that needs to be done. Or what's passed is so far removed from the original idea why bother.

Again if the people running it have their heads up their anoos, well, here come the Hershey squirts. ๐Ÿ™‚ #sorryforthatmentalimage

• @Tails Yeah...I hear you. It obviously gets in the way of the real work. However, I'd say it's Hershey squirts all around in this case.

Not sure why, but perceived injustice can be highly motivating for me, so I reach out to make sure my perspective isn't misdirected. I do my best to ignore it most of the time. Guess I'm still growing up ๐Ÿ™‚

• @Tails being a pain is far from the primary objective. It's just a bonus, heh

• WICTRA fired Frank and ACTRA. We are happy to have been the transformation catalyst, current partner, and forever friend of WICTRA.

Anyone lacking clarity should ask WICTRA about Frank and ACTRA. If they care to they should ask about us too.

Nobody should be surprised about the answers you will hear.